Welcome Back
MVP a no-show

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MVP a no-show Empty
MVP a no-show Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:57 am

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

MVP a no-show STARRIGHT_1_PZKWWasafa2AM
file photos-Asafa Powell

MVP a no-show STARRIGHT_1_PERKPlymannAM
Shelly-Ann Fraser

Anthony Foster, Star Writer

Former 100M world-record holder Asafa Powell and World and Olympic 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser are among the MVP top athletes set to skip the Jamaica International Invitational.

World and Olympic 400m hurdles champion Melaine Walker, Brigitte Foster-Hylton, the World 100m hurdles champion, Shericka Williams, silver medallist in the 400m in Beijing and Berlin, along with Olympic 100m silver medallist, Sherone Simpson, will all miss the May 1 meet set for the National Stadium.

Donald Quarrie, who is responsible for getting athletes to the meet, described the situation as 'bad news.'

"Between this morning and last night, I got news that all the top athletes from MVP will no longer compete," Quarrie explained, this after negotiations were thought to be going fairly well.

Quarrie, the 1976 Olympic 200m champion, disclosed the content of some of his communication with one of the group's (MVP) managers.

"Regarding Asafa, Shericka, Brigitte and Sherone, I received the schedule of requested meets from coach (Stephen) Francis, and the Kingston meet was not included for these athletes ... the first major meet for these athletes will be the Diamond League in Doha on May 14."

Quarrie went on to say that it is particularly unfortunate that Walker will not be there to compete in the 400m hurdles.

However, Michael Frater and Nesta Carter, also from the MVP Track Club, will compete in the men's 100m.

According to Frater, with this not being a World Championship or Olympic year, athletes can pretty much run anywhere they want to.

"What better place to run my first meet than here, at the Jamaica International Invitational."

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com