Welcome Back
Local players, the future of Jamaican football

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

Local players, the future of Jamaican football STARRIGHT_1_PTL2PnFromAAM
Ricardo Makyn - Reggae Boyz forwards, Devon Hodges (left) and Navion Boyd (right) talk with Richard Edwards on their way to the team bus. The team returned from Argentina yesterday, where they lost 2-1 to the South American giants.

Ryon Jones, Star Writer

Reggae Boyz coach, Theodore Whitmore has vowed to move forward with a nucleus of local-based players. Whitmore was speaking upon arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport from Argentina where the team lost to South American giants Argentina 2-1, in front of a packed José Marilla Minella Stadium in Mar del Plata.

"I am having a local-based team and I might bring in a few foreigners to fill a few gaps with a little experience," said Whitmore. "I am not really concentrating on the foreigners now, my main aim right now is to groom and gel the local players, he added.

draft players

The team will next gather on the 22nd of February for a camp, which will run until the 25th with the hope of playing a game on the 3rd of March. Whitmore will be looking to draft players currently participating in the Digicel Premier League (DPL) and those who will be participating in the upcoming Flow Knockout competition.

"We will be looking at the DPL and the Flow competition, which will soon start and get in the players for the 22nd and hopefully we get a game on the 3rd of March, the president is working on that," said Whitmore.

"There is room for everyone, it might not be now but the future of Jamaican football is good based on what we have seen our local players display against Argentina," he added.

Coach Whitmore further explained the reason for more schoolboys not being drafted in the current squad.

Whitmore said: "We had a short time before we had to go to Argentina and we had to sort out visas and all of that, so we did not want to put the administration through all of that."

a rebuilding process

We are in a rebuilding process and there are always going to be chances but we have to take into consideration that most of these school players have school."

The coach did admit that he was somewhat disappointed with the result in Argentina but insists that he has to work with what he has at his disposal, including in the attacking midfield position.

"We have heard the complaints that we are short of attacking midfielders but the fact is if you ask persons to name one, (attacking midfielder) right now, probably you will hear Theodore Whitmore. So it is just a matter of time, we have to work around what is available."

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com