Welcome Back
Jumper Francis moves to MVP

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jumper Francis moves to MVP  Empty
Jumper Francis moves to MVP Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

Jumper Francis moves to MVP  Sheree10
High jumper Sheree Francis - file

National female high jump record holder and national champion Sheree Francis is the latest addition to the Stephen Francis-led MVP Track Club, after her recent split with long time coaches Jeremy Delisser and Michael Russell.

Francis helped herself to silver medals at the Central America and Caribbean Games in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, as well as the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India, last season, and while underlining that the decision to move to MVP was not because of any issues with Delisser and Russell, expressed confidence that her reunion with the MVP coach will boost her career.

The former Vere Technical High student had worked with Stephen Francis during her days in high school, when he would coach her while she was on national duties. Her past experiences with the coach certainly played a big role in her decision and she is hopeful that her development will move to greater levels in the new environment.

"MVP is a well-organised body and I felt like I needed that to become better so that was the main reason why I made the choice to come here," said Francis yesterday shortly before training at the University of Technology.

"I worked with him back when I was in high school and that was a big part of the reason why I chose to come here at this point because I've trained with him before, and I know him to be a very good high jump coach, so that definitely played a big part in my decision," she added.

Francis, whose 1.93m is the current national mark for women's high jump and who has been winning the national title consecutively since 2005 also believes that she stands to gain much with the presence of Olympic silver medallist Germaine Mason, who has been working with Stephen Francis since he was 13 years old.

"I've worked with (Germaine) Mason before when Mr Francis coached me back in my high school days. ... Having him (Mason) here would also boost my development. This is a plus for me," said Francis, who shared that she will be hoping to increase her strength ahead of this year's IAAF World Championships in Athletics in Daegu, South Korea. It's a stage where she really hopes to announce her arrival on the international scene.

"To really get to the next level ... I believe I need some serious strength work and I know that will happen in time so my strength is one of the things I'm most looking forward to improving in the coming weeks and months," Francis noted.

Francis who recently returned from Europe where she competed at two meets in Slovakia, was happy with the experience despite being hampered by a problematic ankle injury.

"It was a good experience, I competed with most of the top high jumpers in the world. Unfortunately my ankle got hurt, but it's getting better now and I should be back very soon. Overall, it was a very good experience because it allowed me to see where I'm at compared to the other girls," said Francis who failed to finish her first meet and could only manage a seventh place in the other because of the injury.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com