Welcome Back
Powell cruises to win in Rome

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Powell cruises to win in Rome Empty
Powell cruises to win in Rome Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

Powell cruises to win in Rome Italy_Golden_Gala_AJM108
Jamaica's Asafa Powell runs to win the men's 100 metres event during the IAAF Diamond League Golden Gala athletics meeting at Rome's Olympic stadium, Thursday, June 10. ap
ROME (AP):

Asafa Powell overcame a slow start to cruise to a comfortable win in the 100 metres at the Rome Golden Gala yesterday.

The Jamaican finished in 9.82 seconds, with the French pair of Christophe Lemaitre and Martial Mbandjock in a photo finish for second and third in 10.09.

Powell's reaction off the blocks was the second slowest of the nine runners. But he was comfortably ahead at the halfway mark and held his form.

"It was a pretty good race tonight, the only problem was my start," Powell said. "My reaction was the worst of my entire life, but I'm happy with how I ran the last part of the race.

"I am 100 per cent sure I can get a lot faster. I haven't done any speed work yet, so I will go home now and concentrate on that."

Jeremy Wariner continued his comeback from injury with victory in the 400. The American narrowly beat compatriot Angelo Taylor with a time of 44.73. Taylor finished with 44.74 and Christopher Brown was third in 45.05.

However, there was confusion at the 200 mark when Jermaine Gonzales and David Neville ran out of their lanes after attempting to avoid a low-hanging microphone boom.

"I saw Jermaine go, but I had to stay focused," Wariner said. "I stayed relaxed and held on till the end. I knew Angelo would be dangerous down the back straight as he always is, especially as he is doing so well doubling up in the 400 metres and 400 metres hurdles this season.

"I've now got a lot of confidence going into the US trials," he added. "I wanted to get a few things out of the way and I'm sure my coach will be happy with how I ran today."

impressive form

In the women's high jump, Blanka Vlasic and Chaunte Howard-Lowe pushed each other to clear 2.03 metres, with Vlasic winning on countback.

Walter Dix of the United States kept up his impressive form in the 200 by breaking Michael Johnson's meeting record of 19.93 from 1999. Dix was well in control on the bend and powered away from the rest of the field down the back straight to finish in 19.86.

"I am very proud to break the meeting record," Dix said. "Last year was hard because I was injured, but now I am healthy and I want to meet Usain Bolt again very soon."

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com