Welcome Back
Mair walks away from JC

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mair walks away from JC Empty
Mair walks away from JC Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

Anthony Foster, STAR Writer
Mair walks away from JC STARRIGHT_1_P2JVJCpreseAM
Former JC coach John Mair.

Jamaica College's (JC) preparations for Saturday's prestigious Gibson Relays and next month's Grace-Kennedy/ ISSA Boys and Girls' Championships hit a snag yesterday, with the news that their long-time track and field head coach, John Mair, has resigned.

Mair quit his post just over a month before Champs 100 gets underway at the National Stadium on March 24.

no answer

STAR Sports tried to get a comment on his sudden departure from Mair yesterday but there was no answer from his regular telephone numbers. Mair, an Olympian, spent over two decades at the Old Hope Road-based institution as a track and field coach. During that time JC won the championships on seven occasions including a hat-trick of victories from 1998 to 2000.

Ian Forbes, a member of the JC management team, confirmed late yesterday that Mair tendered his resignation on Monday, after a meeting with the school's hierarchy.

"Yes he (Mair) has resigned," said Forbes, who also informed that the school's sports master Ortis Winter and Orville Brown will take charge of the team.

"He felt after 23 years, it was time to step back," he said.

Forbes said they had to respect Mair's decision but added: "I would be naive if I said (his departure) would not affect the team ... initially the youngsters will be affected by his relatively sudden departure ..."

He, however, said this will be a test of character for the athletes leading up to the championships.

"I think they are sufficiently focused ... they will do pretty well," Forbes said.

Asked if the school accepted coach's Mair resignation, he replied: "With a very heavy heart, it was accepted and I think he was asked to continue but he decided that he wanted to step away .... "

Forbes said Mair, who represented Jamaica at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, has served with distinction as a student/ athlete and coach.

"He is more than a coach. He is a role model, mentor, father figure and disciplinarian," said Forbes of Mair.
Mair walks away from JC ChampsFinalDayZZX20090404IA
Jamaica College's Waqar DaCosta (right) and his teammate Earl Grant embrace after finishing one-two in the Class Two 800 metres final at last year's GraceKennedy/ISSA Boys and Girls' Championships at the National Stadium. - file

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com