Welcome Back
Mr Vegas denied work permit in Grenada - Banned for singing controversial song two years ago

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter from Jamaica star

Mr Vegas denied work permit in Grenada - Banned for singing controversial song two years ago STARRIGHT_1_PWBGCMRVEGAAM

Dancehall singjay Mr Vegas was denied a work permit yesterday to perform in Grenada, leaving the artiste and the promoter disgruntled.

"We were supposed to have a show there sometime next week, but the government placed a ban on me because I performed She's A Ho there, about two and a half years ago. It's just a sad situation," he explained to THE STAR, noting that he was not told he should not sing any particular song from his catalogue prior to performing.

"I didn't see what was so degrading about She's A Ho. I am not saying anything different from what society says about a woman who sleeps with two men in one night."

Mr Vegas was scheduled to perform at Karma Nightclub in Georgetown, Grenada on March 5. However, the artiste said he was informed of the ban yesterday morning by the promoter of the event, Steve Duncan. This was after the promoter already paid for the plane tickets, Vegas's retainer fee and some of the expenses associated with hosting an event of that nature. The sum totalled more than US$30,000.

no apology

While this might be the case, Mr Vegas said: "I will not make an apology for that song. I write about things that I see happen. I am just going to apologise to the fans in Grenada, because this is beyond my control."

In an article on a Grenadian radio station's website, weefmgrenada.com, Duncan made it clear that he was not pleased with the government's move.

"If this government is placing a ban on a particular number of Caribbean artistes, then that should be public knowledge and should be brought to the attention of the promoters when the application for the work permit is made," said Duncan.

"I sought to get an explanation from the minister of labour, Honourable Carl Hood, and to explain my plight, only to have the phone hung up on me. This is not the first time that this has happened."

Last April, Vybz Kartel was also denied a work permit in Grenada as authorities believed his songs were too lewd and violent.

Meanwhile, Mr Vegas said he is promoting his new song Talk Is Cheap. He said he is also doing work with upcoming artiste Natel, as he believes the youngster has a bright future in music.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Forum create on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com