Welcome Back
Fraser expects Diamond League debut

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fraser expects Diamond League debut Empty
Fraser expects Diamond League debut Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

Leighton Levy, Star Writer
Fraser expects Diamond League debut STARRIGHT_1_PA4R4shellyAM
Shelly-Ann Fraser

World and Olympic 100-metre champion Shelly-Ann Fraser expects to start her Diamond League campaign on May 23 in Shanghai, China. Hopefully, she said, it will be the start of another successful season despite the fact that for weeks now she has been hobbled by an ankle injury.

"I am supposed to be in Shanghai and I think that is supposed to be my first but I am really not sure," she said of her expected season debut in the new professional league, "but wherever it is, I will be ready to run and do my best."

The Laureus Sportswoman of the Year nominee declined to divulge any details on the ankle injury that has kept her out of training in recent weeks, had her recently wearing a protective boot on the left foot, and also has her limping noticeably as she was when she spoke with Star Sports even though the boot was noticeably gone.

She was also unable to say when she would be resuming training.

MVP Track Club

For the pint-sized sprinter, success has been rapid since she joined the MVP Track Club barely three seasons ago. In the last two seasons, the diminutive sprinter won the Olympic and World Championship 100 metres titles. She also won a gold medal in the 4 x 100 metre relay at the World Championships in Berlin, Germany, last August.

The meteoric rise was somewhat unexpected, she said. "In my first year, I was getting really impatient," Fraser said of her first year at the MVP Track Club. "I wanted it to happen but it didn't, so I just calmed down and said you know what, in order to reap the success I have to work hard."

From then, she said, she began to focus more on getting the work done, finishing her programmes and realised that it had begun to pay off. "When I won the Olympics I was really, really excited," she said. "I didn't even know I was going to win. I was just happy that I was there."

Last season, she won the World Championships in a new national record of 10.73 seconds, beating the record set in 1996 by track icon Merlene Ottey. She described her win in Berlin as being "even more spectacular" considering that she had to recover in time from an appendectomy. Taking the national record was also good, she said, and capped what for her was a brilliant year.

She hopes 2010 will be as good as the previous two seasons. "I believe that God is always in the forefront of what I do and I am happy that He actually chose me. I am just excited and looking forward to bigger and better things and hopefully, this season will be one that I can look back on and be proud of."

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com