Welcome Back
Campbell-Brown captures indoor gold

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Campbell-Brown captures indoor gold Empty
Campbell-Brown captures indoor gold Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Wi-owner

Wi-owner

Campbell-Brown captures indoor gold Sports_thumb

DOHA, Qatar (CMC)

The Caribbean's most decorated sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown impressively added an indoor global title to her long list of outdoor successes when she captured the women's 60-metre gold medal as the 13th IAAF World Indoor Championships ended yesterday.

Campbell-Brown, 27, ran a career-best 7.00 seconds to win the marquee sprint event ahead of the US Virgin Islands' LaVerne Jones-Ferrette (7.03) during the last session of the three-day meet at the Aspire Dome.

"I knew the race would be very competitive. I was very confident and mentally focused," Campbell-Brown said after her win.

"I came here with a mindset that I would come out and execute," added Campbell-Brown, whose time was the fastest at a world indoor final for 11 years.

second gold medal

Her triumph completed a second gold medal for the Caribbean at the meet, following Bahamian Chris Brown's 400-metre gold on Saturday.

Jamaica copped another medal when their women's 1600-metre relay squad picked up the bronze medal.

Appearing at her first-ever World Indoor Championships, Campbell-Brown ran a superb race to thump the world-leader LaVerne Jones-Ferrette, who was just a shade behind in second while securing an unprecedented global medal for her country.

American Carmelita Jeter was a close third in 7.05 seconds.

Jamaican Sheri-Ann Brooks clocked a personal best 7.14 for joint fourth with Gabon's Ruddy Zang Milama, while Bahamian veteran Chandra Sturrup (7.16) was sixth, and the British Virgin Islands' Tahesia Harrigan posted a personal best 7.17 for seventh place.

All the Caribbean sprint girls had made the finals after strong efforts in the semis earlier on Sunday.

Campbell-Brown, who notched back-to-back Olympic 200-metre gold medals in Athens (2004) and Beijing (2008) and 100-metre gold at the 2007 IAAF World (Outdoor) Championship, had clocked 7.07 seconds to defeat Zang-Milama and Harrigan in the first semi-final.

Jones-Ferrette was the quickest semi-final winner, landing heat two in 7.05, chased by Sturrup.

Brooks delivered a personal best 7.14 seconds to win heat three ahead of Jeter.

Jamaica secured a bronze medal in the women's 1600-mere relay when Bobby-Gaye Wilkins, Clora Williams, Davita Prendegast and Novlene Williams-Mills clocked three minutes, 28.49 seconds for third behind winners USA and silver medallists Russia.

The USA, with Jamaica-born 400-metre champion Debbie Dunn, Deedee Trotter, Natasha Hastings and Allyson Felix moving the baton around, clocked a 2010 world best 3:27:34 to win narrowly ahead Russia (3:27:44).

Jamaican Maurice Wignall was sixth in a personal season-best 7:60 just ahead of China's former sprint world record holder Liu Xiang, who clocked 7.65 for seventh.

The USA easily topped the medal table with a haul of 17, eight gold, three silver and six bronze, to lead Ethiopia with three gold, and two bronze and Russia with nine medals (2-4-3).

2Campbell-Brown captures indoor gold Empty

Swiss

Swiss

Yay, I'm proud of her. Too bad she married cause mi single

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Chat Room
Create free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com