Welcome Back
Penwood perfect

Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09 || Welcome Back Wi-owner || Newest user is KrisDeviant || Number of Post 5624 || Site up Days 748

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Penwood perfect  Empty
Penwood perfect Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 pm

DRAGON

DRAGON

Penwood perfect  Penwoo10
Penwood High's Ricardo Greenward (left) braces for the challenge from Holy Trinity High's Tushane Atkins during their ISSA/Pepsi/ Digicel Manning Cup match, at Cling Cling Oval, yesterday. Penwood won 2-0. - Ricardo Makyn

Penwood High's Ricardo Greenward was unable to conceal his emotions yesterday during his school's Group D encounter at Cling Cling Oval after scoring his first goal in the ISSA/Pepsi/ Digicel Manning Cup football competition in Jamaica .

Greenward came on as a 56th-minute substitute with his team leading 1-0. Four minutes after being on the pitch, the player wrapped up all three points for his team to earn them their fourth-consecutive win with his first touch of the game.

In the 61st minute, Penwood were awarded a corner delivered into the area by Omar Robinson. Greenward made a run to the near post and met the ball on the half volley to boot home.

"I feel wonderful and I have to give credit to the coach," said Greenward.

"We worked hard for it over the holiday because we played a lot of practice matches," he added.

The youngster who was in tears after scoring explained the reason behind this.

"This was my first Manning Cup goal. I played last year but I didn't score although I got a lot of chances. This year my captain Deno McKenzie spoke to me and told me that this year is a different thing."

Penwood's opening goal in the 53rd minute had also resulted from a set piece. Robinson floated a free kick into the Holy Trinity penalty area from a short corner, which Jevaughn Carty hammered home after two of his teammates had failed to make contact.

Penwood coach Eric Williams believes his team's win came about as a result of them executing on their set plays.

"The preparations and the instructions on the set plays gave us the two goals today," said Williams.

"A flat corner over the six-yard line and we know where the ball is going, so we were able to attack it," he added.

Holy Trinity coach Oscar Wright was naturally disappointed that his team conceded two goals in such fashion.

"Two goals were scored from set pieces and I think we should have really cleared those two balls," said Wright. "The balls went past two defenders, they lapsed a bit," he added.

Holy Trinity came close to a consolation goal in the 88th minute when a 23-yard shot by Alberto Singh came back off the right upright.

Wright, however, believes his team started attacking much too late in the game.

Penwood perfect  Penwoo10
Penwood High's Ricardo Greenward (back to camera) celebrates with his teammates Deno McKenzie (left) and Romario Williams after scoring his team's second goal against Holy Trinity High in the ISSA/Pepsi/Digicel Manning Cup at Cling Cling Oval yesterday. Penwood won 2-0. - Ricardo Makyn

Yesterday's results

Group B

Tivoli 3 Dunoon Technical 1

Jose Marti 0 Ascot 1

Group D

Mona 1 St Andrew Technical 4

Norman Manley 7 Pembroke Hall 0

Penwood 2 Holy Trinity 0

Group F

St Catherine 0 Kingston College 4

Tarrant 1 Jonathan Grant 0

Campion 1 Hydel 1